The Happy Knappy is a knitted creation by Alison Blenkinsop to show how baby poo should change in the first five days.
Happy Knappy Knitting Pattern
- Wool—cream or white chunky or 2 strands of DK wool (20-25gm)
- Needles—size 7 or 8 needles
Cast on 36 loosely
Knit 6 rows (slip the first stitch loosely of each row, to keep the edge neat)
Row 7: decrease 1 at beg and end of row – looks neatest by reversing direction of st at opp ends, ie sl 1, dec 1 (sl 1, k1, pass sl st over), k to last 3, k 2 tog, k1
Row 8: k
Continue to dec 1 at each end of alternate rows until 16 st remain (27 rows)
K 19 rows
Row 47: increase 1 at beg and end of alt rows to get 36 st (ie sl 1, inc 1, k to last 2 st, inc 1, k 1)
Row 66: k 6 rows
Cast off firmly
- Wool—double-knit thickness, or 2 strands of 4-ply which can give a mottled or in-between effect if you can’t find the right colour. Two strands also makes for neater increases. Textured wool is good for the last 2 days. You’ll need 4-5 metres.
- Needles—size 10 or 11 needles
Colours and stitches for the different days:
- Black—stocking stitch right side out
- Dark green/black plus dark green—st st right side out
- Sludgy browny-green—st st wrong side out
- Browny-yellow—garter stitch OK if textured, or st st wrong side out
- Golden/mustard yellow—garter stitch OK if textured, or moss st
Cast on 7
Work as above; for days 1-3 (and 4 if not using moss stitch), 1st row: purl
2nd row: inc at each end of alt rows until 15 st (experiment to
get the shape you want). If using 2 strands of wool, inc by
working each strand separately
Dec at each end of alt rows until 7 st remain
Sew poos invisibly on knappy as shown in the picture.
Contact Jane Neesam to buy the Knappy Pack (£3 plus p&p). The pack contains the pattern, balls of wool and the accompanying song, which starts “On the first day of feeding, your babe will give to you a wee and a sticky black poo”.
THE FIVE DAYS OF FEEDING to the tune of “The Twelve days of Christmas”
On the first day of feeding, your babe will give to you a wee and a sticky black poo.
On the second day of feeding, your babe will give to you two little wees and a less sticky, thinner dark poo.
On the third day of feeding, your babe will give to you three little wees,
two little burps and a big greeny-browny soft poo.
On the fourth day of feeding, your babe will give to you four little wees, three little farts, two little burps and a nice runny toffee-brown poo.
On the fifth day of feeding, your babe will give to you five bi-ig wees; four little farts, three big burps, two overflows, and a large golden mustard-seed poo!
©Alison Blenkinsop 2014